Episode 1

There it is again, that noise. Joe’s Town has always been dead silent past dusk but midnight disturbances are becoming more and more common and I don’t like it at all. Pulling a rough shirt over my head, I walk to the door of my parent's shack. They lie snoring a few feet away, their ability to sleep through such a tumultuous sound is pitiful, they’re just like the rest. I step out of the doors made of mismatched scrap set in dilapidated walls made out of even more junk. The gabled roof of corrugated iron shelters the raised wooden porch, the whole structure supported by greyed timbers that have clearly been in place for some time, the few steps leading from the porch are warped and chipped. Its dark out but the moon provides enough light for me to see the looming black shape, barely a hundred feet from where I stand, an obscene groan sounds as it carves it’s way through the night.
 
Joe’s Town is my home, it always has been, and it was dull as dirt. Everyone had a way to occupy their brain, some used hooch but I used music. The town hall was the central hub, centuries of sand had stained the outside of the building yellow. The corrugated iron canopy was brown from rust, tiles from the roof gathered in the gutter under fissures of crossed timbers. At ground level hardened mud was laid out in every direction, thick black cracks scarred the earth giving the impression of scales on the back of some enormous, slumbering dragon. Tufts of vegetation fought to reach the orange sun but the sandstorms killed them before they could flower, leaving brittle hair like clumps dotted around the landscape. The flat of the desert spanned for a frighteningly long time, loneliness was a part of everyday life. Far off stout mountains grew up, reaching for the thick layer of glowing clouds, rays of sunlight radiated so bright they hurt your eyes.

I dreamt of what lay beyond those mountains, the deep, dried out rivers that had cut canyons  punctuated by needles of rock a hundred feet tall. Clouds there are thinner, the glowing sky tinged with blue, the bright sun creates long shadows of the needles and illuminated impressive skylines as it set. Little vegetation grows there, but what does is dull green and flowers in pale lilacs and blues. The maze of dead rivers seems endless and the terracotta walls so high that even if you got down you could scarcely get up, but whenever I visited the canyons the thought struck me, what if I made it across?

Life strolled along, dull and repetitive, a never ending adventure in monotony. It wasn’t until about a year ago when a series of strange events began to unfold that something outside my music and dreams piqued my interest. I was sat outside my parent’s hut tuning my banjo and watching Janie when the first of the oddities came. Janie was the only girl around my age that lived in Joe’s Town and we didn’t get an awful lot of visitors so it felt inevitable that we were going to be together, she seemed to know it as much as I did but still she appeared resistant to the idea and I hated her for it. I didn’t love her, I didn’t even like her but her rejection made me sick.

It was about midday when the Rangers came, the orange sun was seated high in the sky. I had just started to play a song, something I had written about a rat searching for somewhere that plants grew lush and bright, he found his haven but a gate keeper told him rats weren’t allowed to enter. The rat waited until the gatekeeper slept then ate out his eyes, the next morning he approached again and the blind gatekeeper, assuming he was a man, let him through. Barely a verse into my song I was interrupted by the distant rumbling of techbikes.

The Rangers of Rayle, the Technocrat Lord, didn’t often visit Joes Town but when they did they made an impact. Usually all they wanted were warm beds and warmer hospitality. Now and then a woman would be in the band and if they weren’t some battle hardened elder I’d half hope they’d expect such ‘hospitality’ of me, but it never happened. The Rangers would stay for one night then ride off again, a huge cloud of dust settling as they got closer to their next rest stop. First they were far off specs but eventually their bikes came into focus, their steeds had always fascinated me, the main body was like the limbless, headless torso of some great metal beast. It sat on two heavy, black tyres, as thick as the rest of the bike. All together the vehicle was as long as a man on his back. A leather seat, with a high back, and a pair of shelves for the feet allowed the rider to sit upright. As they rode their chainswords rattled against their thick plate armour, seeing them I couldn’t help but smile.

This time, however, something was different, more men than I’d ever seen before rode forth, the front rider with a steel chariot secured to the back of his techbike painted in a faded rainbow of colours, a signature of the Rangers, it was rusted and covered in dust from decades of use. The platoon came to a halt, their mounts coughing as they did so and the heavy rubber wheels scarring the earth under the overhang of the town hall. They stood around, joking amongst themselves as a crowd gathered. The chariot rider and a few others walked to the door of the town hall where they began to talk with Joe III.

Soon the chariot rider accompanied Joe III in to the hall his guard of men stood around at the doorway, their eyes surveying the crowd with suspicion. Light faded and the Rangers made their sleeping arrangements whilst Joe III stayed in the town hall with his guest. As morning broke the bulk of the Rangers stepped out of various shacks, reassembling their armour as they walked, some trailed by giggling girls who shared looks of glee as they accompanied there new friend to his techbike. The chariot rider left the hall, Joe III waited at the doorway, a look of concern across his face. With a cloud of dust the bikes began to roar and the Rangers left Joe’s Town.

It was obvious something was wrong but no one seemed to notice, more than likely the idiots didn’t want to. My mind raced, what had Joe III and the man spoken about? Why was he so concerned? Joe III started acting differently after that day, like some burden had been added to his shoulders. The Rangers started to visit more and more often, always with the guarded chariot in tow. The girls were happy about it, Janie had become romantically involved with a Ranger. Everyone seemed too preoccupied to notice but I knew something wasn’t quite right. When the night sounds began I became truly scared, but underneath that fear, in the pit of my stomach, was excitement.