Episode 2

The great arid Waste is a demanding place to journey across, its vast distances and beating conditions make it a trial for even the most hardened traveller. That being said on occasion the bold or brainless make their way across the flats in search of a cure to their wanderlust. Joe’s Town has had its share of travellers and we’re amiable enough to feed our guests. After filling their belly the visitor will share stories and songs they've gained on their travels. One such wanderer visited our home a fortnight or so ago. The one eyed man wore the scars of a life well lived, his hair, both on his face and head, was long and matted with bald patches where scar tissue had obstructed the growth. Through the disfigurations and dirt I noticed a hardened fortitude in his eyes.

I sat down at the evening fire and looked around at the other folk. Janie walked past me without a glance, my parents sat opposite looking as if they had a reason to be gleeful; I don’t believe they did, and the wanderer sat in his thick tan cloak looking as if the he was buried in a mound with only his head showing. I filled my bowl with stewed wasteweed from a rusted cauldron and tore a piece of coyote from the spit. After the wanderer had finished his meal he rested his bowl on the dirt, clearing his throat he began “Would any of y’all like to hear a tale?” more directed at the children than the adults. His gnarled features seemed to petrify the children so Deidre, a girl two years my senior, spoke up
“Well I would”.

 “Ok then little lady, if you wanna hear me speak I’ll speak. Long ago, when I was a young man, I rode with the Rangers of Rayle before he was a known name in these lands. See Rayle weren’t always king of the dirt, once he lived far off in the land across the canyon. Over there they got…” his eyes darted around until he found and held up a clump of wasteweed “…they got this as far as the eye can see and it’s the colour of your peepers” Janie giggled as she realized it was her emerald eyes he was talking about. “And he was king there too, he and his brother ruled over that land travelling with an army of Rangers so big it could span from here to all the way over there.” Children gasped as he motioned from one point to another.

“But Rayle had the past scratching around in the back of his head ‘coz he had been betrothed to a beautiful girl who, the night before their weddin’, was taken by some unknown evil to the Waste. The memory of this loved one became too great a weight and he told his brother they had to travel to the Waste. His brother refused, he loved the land he lived in and weren’t gonna leave it for nothin’, so the army split.

“This is where I come in. ‘Cos I was a boy birthed in the Waste Rayle hired me to help guide his men. He and his Rangers searched the great plains searching for signs of that woman. For years they looked, but never found a scrap. Rayle became weary and almost gave up his search ‘til one night…” the traveller’s voice became hushed “… the gang I rode with came across a great pyramid. Moonlight broke through the clouds and lit that tomb blue in ghostly light, a gale blew up dust around the base so thick you couldn’t see the man next to you. It weren’t a nice place. We stepped up to the buildin’, it hummed as if it were alive. Amongst the blizzard that surrounded us we huddled, our shouts like whispers, and made plans to enter the tomb. The youngest member of the squad got the short straw and had to go in alone, through the night we waited but he never came out.

“Message was sent to Rayle of what we’d found. The next night He arrived, he looked at that pyramid with a dread and went in alone. We waited outside for three days, the sun barely peaked past the mountains whilst he stayed in that tomb and we stood in the cold twilight waiting to see what, if anythin’, would emerge. At midnight on the third day a some’in’ appeared at the entrance. In their arms they carried some'in', as they came closer I saw that it was Rayle that walked towards us. In his arms lay the corpse of that young Ranger, days ago he had entered the pyramid but now he was just bones in a techsuit. Rayle ordered for the tomb to be sealed, never mentioning what had happened but he had changed, he weren’t the same man.

“Rayle ordered a bonfire for the dead Ranger and as the corpse burnt some sound came from it. First it was faint but soon turned into a wail. Scared that someone had been caught we started to tear the fire apart, as we fought against the flames the screams became louder and more desperate. Suddenly men started to collapse, clutching their ears as they rolled around in the dirt but still we pressed on. We got to the centre of the blaze and that same lonely figure we had seen walking from the pyramid, Rayle, was stood there. He wore the armour of the young Ranger and gazed into the distance, unawares of what went on around him. We ran to aid him but some'in' horrible happened...

“As I neared him a breeze hit my face, cool and damp. Dark flooded in around me and all I could see was Rayle, stood before me in a black abyss. With a jolt he faced me lookin’ deep into my eyes as if he was starin’ at my soul. I tried to turn and run but wherever I went he was there. The wailin’ started up again and the breeze strengthened, buildin’ and buildin’ ‘til the mangled faces of a thousand dead blew from where he stood. Their stench filled my nose, my eyes began to water. They screamed and moaned as they flew around my head in a ghostly tornado. I covered my ears and held my eyes tight but the sound wouldn’t cease and in the darkness of my eyelids still I saw their faces. Wailin’ grew and grew in volume until I could bare it no more and blacked out.

“I woke later, the sun low in the sky, I looked around me and saw that the Rangers lay around in a great circle. In the centre of the circle stood Rayle huggin’ some pale blue woman. Shakin’ one of the men around me I saw they’d had the same fate as the young Ranger, I got up, started runnin’ and never stopped”

It was pitch black when he finished his story. Children sat shaking in their parent’s laps, some crying. Older folk were angry at the traveller for scaring the kids but I had been hooked on every word. Tales like these excited me more than anything but they alone weren’t enough, I wanted to see the ghosts for myself.